Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Five Years Strong

Last night was the big 89.3 The Current 5th birthday party at First Avenue. It was so much fun! Can I say again how fucking lucky I feel to work in the same organization as this awesome station? Because I am. What an event! Great bands, great people, great venue...it couldn't have been any better.

First Avenue was wall to wall people, but everyone just seemed to be in a great mood. If you bumped into someone or they bumped into you, there was an outpouring of apologies and niceties that can only exist with public radio people. I've been to a lot of sold out shows at First Avenue and none were as pleasant an experience as last night.

The bands were great, but I got to say, P.O.S. stole the show. The man is awesome. I've never been to a hip hop show and he owned that place. I bought his album, Never Better, this morning and it's so good. Go. Get. It.

I wanted to see Mason Jennings, but at a sold out event that was almost more of a socializing event than a concert, he and his acoustic guitar were drowned out by the chattering crowd. Too bad, because he opened with a cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Atlantic City" that sounded amazing - from what I could hear.

It was an amazing night. Big kudos to The Current staff for pulling this off.

Did I mention Prince was there? Because he was! It was fun to watch the news trickle through the crowd. He didn't perform, he just came in, watched for a little bit, and left. Unfortunately, I did not get to see him. But he was there. We were in the same room. Prince!


No comments: