Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hallelujah

Back when I was teenager, I decided that when I die, I want "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen as my funeral song. I know, cliche, right? I wasn't depressed and I wasn't planning a funeral for myself any time soon, but I just decided that was the song and made sure to tell my best friend so if I were to pass, she would know what to do.

Well, being that I'm a very superstitious person, I've ruined that song for myself now. I'm now basically scared to listen to it. This fear didn't kick in until my early 20s when my superstitious nature really reared its ugly head. For some reason, I considered it a jink or a hex or whathaveyou on the song that if I listen to it, imminent death is sure to follow. And this goes for all versions. Even the glorious Jeff Buckley version. Yes, I'm crazy, I know.

But new year, new me, right? It's actually been a decade since I was in my early 20s, so new decade, too! Yesterday I came home from work and the radio was on (we leave it on for the dog). As I was going about my business of taking Murray out and feeding him, Jeff Buckley's version came on the radio. I began to make my mad dash for the off button, when I thought to myself: NO. This is stupid. And I let it play. And it was beautiful. And I am still here today.

(knock on wood)

No comments: