Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Inner Nerd Unleashed

Okay. So my nerdom is not so inward as to go unnoticed. But, last night I beat Final Fantasy X for the third time (and let me just say it would be the fourth time, but I died at the end the last time I played and just never got around to trying again).

I love video games and always have. I was given the original Nintendo Entertainment System for Christmas when I was 9 years old. My favorite games were Super Mario 1, Super Mario 3 (I never got into 2), Paper Boy, Zelda, Tetris, and, of course, Duckhunt. My vegetarian self had yet to peak its head.

I was loyal to that system for most of my years until adulthood and Playstation. My husband and I bought Resident Evil and stayed up until 10am the following morning with another friend and barely got half way through it. I loved it.

I usually don't play any of the new games. They are way too involved and I get way too tense and freaked out. I find it much more enjoyable to watch someone else play and help with puzzles and navigating.

The only modern games I've played on my own are the Grand Theft Auto games, Paper Mario, Bully, Grand Turismo, the new version of Pacman*, and Final Fantasy X. I once tried to play Zelda: Ocarina of Time. But it became too tense and I had to quit. But the modern Zelda games are really really good.

I've been told Final Fantasy X is the least liked of the series, but I just love it. It's a turn based fighting system so you never really feel frantic. The enemies will not attack you until it's their turn, so you end up having to strategize more. You don't want to skip healing yourself for a turn at striking your opponent in case the "fiend", as they are called, hits you with a really hard blow. You are playing 3 characters as once while you battle, as well, so you have to watch out for all of them.

The story is fantastic and the graphics are quite amazing for a game that came out in 2002. The first time I beat the game I cried because I had become so involved with the characters. "Interacting" with these computerized beings for 40+ hours will do that to you.

This past time through I was stronger than I'd ever been. I whipped past all the bosses and beat the final boss with no problems. I'm not quite sure how I did it, but it was awesome.

*I cannot play the classic arcade Pacman. My blood pressure shoots through the roof when those little ghosts start chasing after poor Pacman. I don't think I like the idea of being stuck in a maze with bad guys after me.

No comments: