Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

(500) Days of Summer

Happy 3 day weekend! It is so needed. Yesterday was wasted to the post-Cabaret hangover and an America's Next Top Model marathon. I would be really depressed if it was already Sunday and I had to work tomorrow.

I did watch (500) Days of Summer last night. I'd been meaning to see this movie since it came out, but just kept putting it off. Too bad. Because I really liked it.
It's not a laugh out loud movie. It's not a crying movie. It's just an interesting take on relationships. As it states at the beginning: This is not a love story. It is the story of Tom, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who falls head over heals for a girl named Summer. Summer is played by the delightful Zooey Deschanel. It's easy to understand how Tom can become so entranced by her.

I was concerned that Levitt, the former child actor from 3rd Rock From the Sun, would be hard to believe in a serious adult role. But he wasn't. He sold it to me. I thought he did a fantastic job.

I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give away the whole story, which would be easy to do while describing it. It's just a cute movie with good dialogue, beautiful direction, well acted, and a great supporting cast. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

It also has a kick ass soundtrack. Usually I get really annoyed by these quirky indie love stories and their quirky indie soundtrack (think Juno). But this one worked.

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: