Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

High Violet

As I'm sure I've mentioned numerous times in this blog, I love The National. They have quickly jumped to the top of the pack as my favorite band. Just love them. I love the music, the lyrics, and the voice. Oh, how I love the voice.

Back on May 11th, they released their latest album, High Violet. I was so looking forward to it and, unfortunately, it hasn't quite lived up to my expectations. I think I really need to stop over-hyping things to myself so I don't continue to get disappointed by the musical releases by some of my favorite artists.

It's not a bad album by any means. It's just not quite there. It's missing something that I haven't quite put my finger on yet.

Right before this album came out, I purchased their self-titled debut album and loved it. Usually when you discover a band and work your way back through their discography, their early work doesn't quite live up to the more polished, put together sound of their breakthrough albums. But The National's early work is lyrically so great and a little more rockin' than what they've released recently. Especially compared to High Violet. And maybe that's what's missing.

The lead single off of High Violet, "Bloodbuzz Ohio" is an amazingly rocking tune. The drums are fantastic. The lyrics great. It certainly raised the level of anticipation for the album's release. But the rest of the album, barring a couple of tracks, falls a little flat. It hasn't changed my opinion of them, though. They still rule.

And this album does have the unbelievably gorgeous "Runaway" on it. So that right there is worth the price of the album.

I'm seeing them twice in August on back to back nights at First Avenue. I am prepared for the set to be filled mostly with these songs. And that's cool. That's what they are doing. Promoting an album. I am also prepared for a truly fantastic show, like the one they put on last year. Although, I will try not to overhype it in my head too much. Why set myself up to be disappointed?

Top Tracks on High Violet:
"Runaway"
"Bloodbuzz Ohio"
"Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks"
"England"
"Terrible Love"

No comments: