Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

People On The Bus

There is a guy on my bus who has the worst breath of anyone I have ever encountered. You don't even have to be near him to smell it (but beware if you are). Today I was sitting behind him, two rows back, and every time he would turn his head to talk to someone, this awful stench would come wafting back at me. I don't know how he keeps the friends he has on the bus. He must be a really nice guy.

I spend upwards of 6 hours a week with the people on my bus. I don't talk to any of them, aside from the occasional nod or 'excuse me' or 'cold out, isn't it?' (for the record, I never say that. I hate talking about the weather. But I've had it said to me on many occasions whilst riding the bus). I prefer to spend my time on the bus engrossed in the music from my iPod or a really good book. Sometimes, not so good books (I spent a summer trying to read The Illiad. Those were difficult bus rides because I knew that I had to read that book. But I did finish it. Though I couldn't tell you a thing about it).

So, even though I don't talk to anyone on the bus, I've created lives and personalities and names for most of them. The regulars. The ones who have been sharing my work commutes with me for the past 5 years.

They are:

Personal Space Invader
Barry Obama
Peter Paul
Eric
Red
Frosty
Brown Shoes
Raoul
Bad Breath
Seat Two
Breakdancing Bobby
The Dancer Girls
Glenda
Alternative Girl
Willie Rogers
Backpack Boy and Downtown Girl
June Cleaver
Agnus
Terri Two
The Old Bat

I really don't have anything more to say about them. I guess I just wanted to document them for my own memory's sake. Like I said, I spend a lot of time with these people.

No comments: