Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sing Songs Along

What is it about multiple voices coming together to create a unified, harmonic sound that both gives me the chills and warms my heart?

I recently joined a choir. A Lady Choir. A choir of gals that will be getting together to make choral arrangements of our favorite songs to, hopefully, perform at local establishments. We had our first meeting today. None of us are professionals. Yet, we started to sing and the blend was beautiful. It's really very magical how that happens.

Music is such an amazing thing.
On Saturday night, my friend Jen held a gathering at her house for her birthday. Her only request was that people either bring a poem/story to read (one they either wrote or just liked) or music to play, so I brought my guitar and sang a song. Two songs. One was the song she and I put together for one of her poems and performed at the Soap Factory a couple of months ago. It was nice to bring that back to life again. I also sang "Lord, I Have Made You a Place in My Heart" by Greg Brown. It's a cover I do often and one Jen seems to enjoy. I was somewhat nervous to sing around the campfire by myself in front of a group of mostly strangers. But it went well. It's such a relief that singing has become such a comfortable thing for me to do. Especially considering that I plan on playing out as much as I can. Each time gets easier. And I love it.

Everyone should sing. The world would be a happier place.

No comments: