Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Way She Is

Ingrid Michaelson released a new album last week titled Everbody. As with Regina Spektor's album, Far, I was very excited about this album. I don't think Ingrid is a visionary musical genius. But she's quirky and cute with an adorable voice and an amazing way with melodies.

Her previous album, Boys and Girls, was good. Not great, but good. Her EP, Be OK, was fantastic and made my top 10 albums of 2008 . I think Be OK represents Ingrid at her best: stripped down and melodic. She's been releasing one off singles ahead of Everybody's release - and those are great. Stripped down and melodic.

Everybody isn't that.

Sure, the melodies are there, but there is nothing new there. It sounds like an album made to be played during trailers for tv shows. Like I said, I didn't expect a masterpiece, but I expected something. I don't even know what...but it wasn't this.

In other music chick news, Juliette Lewis also released an album this week. Yes, the same Juliette Lewis from Natural Born Killers, Kalifornia, and The Other Sister (we won't talk about that one). The complete opposite of Ingrid, Juliette has a raw, manic approach to her music. She used to be in a band called Juliette and the Licks, a more straight up punk/pop group. Juliette has moved onto a more blues sound on her solo debut.

I'm intrigued. I really dig her voice, but I don't know if it's music that I would listen to regularly which is making it difficult to shell out the whopping $10 - even though I've been sitting on $30 worth of iTunes gift cards that I have no idea what to spend on.

Speaking of that, why is it so easy for me to blow $10 of my own money on Skid Row and Bon Jovi songs on iTunes, but when I get a gift card, I suddenly become super picky? Although, I think if I wasn't so disappointed in Ingrid's new album, I would have bought this one already. It's like reading a bad book. It makes it hard to want to jump into another one right away out of fear of disappointment.

Whatever.

I'm pretty sure I will be attending Juliette Lewis's live show at Station 4 in October. She supposedly puts on a good show, it's a cheap show, and it's a super tiny venue.

I was wanting to attend Ingrid Michaelson's show at The Fine Line in October, as well. But, after hearing this album, I'm not so sure.

No comments: