Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Tweet

Twitter is a crazy thing.

I held off on joining for so long. My social networking started out with MySpace. Then that got old and crowded and spammed, so I ended on Facebook and still enjoy my time there very much. But, Twitter just looked so dull. Just status updates and the occasional "twitpic". There didn't seem to be much social interaction to be had.

For whatever reason, though, I decided to join recently. I think it was mainly just to see what it was all about.

It's very strange.

For the shamefully open celebrity obsessed person like myself, it's a crazy cyberworld. With just a click of the follow button, I can see what the likes of Courtney Love, Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, Scott Baio, and Jessica Alba are all doing at any given time. Do I normally give a shit about these people? No. But I just find it fascinating to see these little snippets of the celebrity lifestyle played out in real time. I can't even begin to tell you why. I think it's my nosey nature. I work in HR for a reason.

Sure, most of them just use it at as an advertising tool, relentlessly pushing their latest album, concert tour, movie premiere, or cause (Yoko Ono, I'm looking at you). But some, take Lindsay Lohan for example, display their entire lives via 140 character messages at a time. Arguments between her and girlfriend Samantha Ronson play out in real time over the internet.

Just yesterday, Courtney Love went on a tweeting rampage over the use of Kurt Cobain's image in the new Guitar Hero game. Being attacked by "Followers", she responded in depth to all of the legal battles surrounding Kurt's estate and was not shy in damning former Nirvana bandmates, Dave Grohl and Krist Noveselic.

As a private person (funny, considering how nosey I am) I am surprised by all of these celebrities who do live their lives openly on a social networking site. I could not imagine my husband and I having an open argument on Facebook or Twitter. Or expounding on Twitter all of my legal and financial woes.

But that's just me.

On the other hand, when you find a celebrity you do feel fondly for and can openly engage with someone you admire, it makes it a truly wonderful site. When Erin McKeown or Ingrid Michaelson twitter and tweet and respond to twitters and tweets from their fans, it really makes you feel connected to the artist and makes the world feel like a smaller, closer place.

No comments: