Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Three Shows I Will End Up Watching Over And Over Again

While I was sick last weekend, I decided to - once again - watch Arrested Development. All three seasons. I do this every few months.

I canceled my cable in September 2010. I never really watched a lot of television anymore and just could not stomach the massive cost to keep cable. And, really, if I like a show enough, I end up buying it on DVD anyway. And any new show usually offers a sneak peak online or a quick download on iTunes the day after airing. Why pay $150 a month on 100 channels that either are all showing Back to the Future marathons (which I own - all three movies) when I can use that money to buy programming that I actually want to watch.

So that's what I did.

And I love it.

But what I've found is that I haven't sought out new television as much as I thought. I watch Community, How I Met Your Mother, and Modern Family all during their regular time slots because they are on basic television. I download The Walking Dead from iTunes the day after it airs. And I am waiting and waiting for the BBC Sherlock Holmes return to air on PBS in the states (not until May!).

But other than that, I keep it simple. And that's by watching the same three shows on DVD over and over again. They are:

1. Arrested Development



This one is so easy. I adore this show and I've probably seen it, oh man, I can't even begin to imagine how many times I've watched all three seasons. Sometimes I skip around, but usually I put in disc 1 of season 1 and slowly make my way through. It's great because it is only 3 seasons long, it wraps up really nicely, and there is always something new to discover. The show was brilliant with its inside jokes and subtlety that there are things I still catch for the first time even after seeing it so many times. I mean, they'd been building up Buster's missing hand since season 1. That's good writing.




2. It's Alway Sunny in Philadelphia


















This show is on its 7th season. For the longest time I only had the first 3 seasons on DVD and the rest  were on iTunes. But, I can only watch TV for so long on the computer, so I bought the rest on DVD...still downloading the new episodes as they were made available so I could keep up.  This show is not for everyone. It can be very crude. There is swearing. But it is fucking hilarious.



3. Community

























Oh, Community. I love you so much. This show makes me so happy. It's the newest of the three and so it still has that freshness to it. But I just started season 1 yesterday for the 4th time and it's still just as good as ever. I just sit there with a permanent smile on my face in total bliss. And NBC is looking to cancel it. Please start watching this show. Go get season 1 on DVD. I will admit, the first 5 episodes of season 1, while entertaining, may not jump at you. But like any new show, once it hits its groove, it so good. So good. So so so so good. Really really good.




And with that, I'm off to watch more Community.

No comments: