Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

I Can No Longer Use A Telephone

The other day I got a call from a friend of mine. I had no idea how to answer. I could see this person's name, so I knew who was calling. They were calling my cell phone, so they knew I would be the one to answer. Because of this, I had no idea how to answer. Do I just say 'hello' like the old days? Do I address the person with "hi, (person's name)"? Do I answer in some goofy way like "what up?" or "hey you"?

I don't know.

Texting and social media have destroyed my phone skills.

This goes for when I call someone, too - which I try to avoid at all costs. When I call someone, do I say "hey, (person's name)" when they answer? Do I have to tell them who I am? What if I'm not sure if the number is a cell phone - do I ask for them when they answer?

How do phone conversations work these days???

It doesn't help that my iPhone sucks as a phone. I don't know how many times I've been talking and pressed my face too hard against the screen and accidentally hit the End Call button and hung up.

This inability to use the phone has now crept into my work life. If I have to call someone, I freak out. Well, okay, freak out is a strong word. Panic a little, maybe? I literally cannot form words when I'm on the telephone and it doesn't help that my desk is completely out in the open and so everyone can hear me try to navigate a conversation on the telephone.

Is this the same for everyone? Is it just me? When I see people having conversations on a cell phone, I just think why? You can just text them. And then I stare at them and think...how?


No comments: