Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Late Nights

I’ve had three recording studio sessions and another one tonight. It’s such a great experience. I’m constantly in shock that I’m actually doing this. I don’t know how I got from being afraid to do my first open mic night last January to recording an album in less than 8 months. It’s been a whirlwind. And I love it.

We have started all 11 songs on the album. Most are pretty close to done and just need vocals. In some ways I feel like I might be rushing through the recording process, mainly because I only have so much money and don’t want to spend 4 hours on one song. But, also because it’s just the way I work. It is a fun process, but it’s also somewhat tedious. Playing the same song over and over again until you get the right take can be draining. So, I get it as good as I can and move along. I don’t want it to be overly polished anyway. What’s really cool is that we are recording to tape, so it should have a really cool sound to it – none of that digital-ness.

The other difficult part is that we are doing this on weeknights. I’m getting so sleepy! Not getting home until 11:30 on a Wednesday night is not something I’m used to. But it’s so worth it.

It’s strange, but the more I do with this music stuff, the more I want to accomplish. I never intended on doing anything but the occasional open mic, then I started booking my own shows. I never intended on making a real album, but here I am. I never intended to want to do more with this, but I do.

I’m just so eager to complete the album and have it in my hands. And if it’s the only one I ever make, well, at least I made one and followed one of my dreams.

No comments: