Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Virgin Suicides


The Virgin Suicides has long been a favorite movie of mine. I love the story, it's quiet, the acting, the soundtrack, the look and feel of the film. All so well done. The soundtrack is one of my favorite albums. Just perfect from beginning to end.

As of today, I have read the book by Jeffrey Eugenides. It was so very good.

I love that you don't know why they killed themselves. I love that you only know the story of the Lisbon girls from an outsiders perspective. And reading about the deaths made them seem even more haunting and sad and real. You find yourself just as enamored with these girls as the boys who crushed on them for years and are now telling you their story. The slight differences between the film and the movie (and there are very few differences - Sofia Coppola did a brilliant job) really made the story even more real. ****SPOILOR ALERT**** That Mary doesn't die during her suicide attempt with her remaining three sisters and takes her own life months later, you almost feel bad for her that she didn't get it done the first time. Their lives are so dismal and all they had was each other. In the film, if I remember correctly, Mary passes with the rest of them.

It's a beautiful book and beautiful movie and I highly recommend each of them.

I'm going to go watch the movie again now.

Oh, and go get the soundtrack. It's amazing.


No comments: