Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Attachments

My husband and I are in the process of revamping our living room. We’ve had the same living room furniture since our last house and it just never felt right in this house. So now, 5 years later, we’ve decided to do something about it.

The first thing we’ve done is sell the old couch and armchair. We put it up on Craigslist for a really good price. Someone was interested right away. They came to look at it last night. They were two college-aged boys. They barely even looked at it before giving my husband the money and packing it onto their trailer.

As I watched it leave, I got very sad. These were the first pieces of furniture we bought when we bought our first house. They’ve been in our lives for so long. They weren’t used all that often. Our dog used to sleep in the chair, but that stage had passed. Occasionally, I might lay on the couch to read, but I usually save books for the bus. Mostly they just hung out in the living room, there in case a guest came by when we would then congregate in the living room, but even still, we usually ended up in the kitchen.

But now they are gone. Probably off to live in some frat house somewhere. They will be used with much greater frequency, I assume. Beer will be spilt on them. Pot smoke will seep into the fabric. Heavy petting sessions will occur on their cushions. They will be the seats for crappy movie nights. I imagine mad dashes towards the big, crazy comfortable armchair.

I’m happy they will be used. If they weren't bought, they would have ended up on the curb for free taking. That would have made me feel terrible. What a way to strip them of their dignity. But I guess I am a bit sad that in their retirement years, they will be forced to endure long nights of partying and college boy stink. I know they are just couches and don’t really have retirement years, but they were my couches and I want what is best for them. I want them to be treated well.

I hope these boys take care of them.

No comments: