Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

In the Hot August Sun

I have been seriously lacking in my posts this month. It's too bad because it’s been a really great month. That’s part of the problem, though. I didn’t get around to writing about a couple of awesome things and then the fact that I was behind in posting overwhelmed me, so I just stayed away all together.
Some things I have mentioned. We got rid of our old living room furniture and bought some new stuff and it’s all so much better and amazing in there and I just want to hang out there all the time.

We saw The National twice at the beginning of the month and they blew me away each time.

As for the rest, how about a quick, bulleted list of everything else that has happened. Starting with:

*I finished my album!!!! It’s done! And I love it! I’m more proud of it than I ever could imagine myself being. I think it turned out really well. I have 11 tracks and only one which I would even consider being “filler”. Next up: Packaging. My friend is working on the design for me, then I have to get it printed and then the big CD release party on October 2nd. That is the goal date. Then? Who knows? Do I send it to radio stations, record labels, music critics? What do I want to accomplish with this? I need to decide. But I feel like I can’t put so much of myself, my time, and my money into something just to have it sit there. I should do something with it.

*My husband and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. We had a delicious dinner at the 112 Eatery (if you go there, get the scallops) and followed that with night 2 of The National. He also bought me a really cool pottery bowl.

*I turned 31 on the 21st. It’s amazing how old I don’t feel. Really? I’m 31? How did that happen? I’m pretty sure I’m still 28. Yep. 28. The city of Minneapolis had 3 musical festivals on my birthday, so we hit those up. We also had an amazing dinner at the Signature Café, one of my favorite places to eat.

*The MN State Fair started last week. I’ve worked 2 shifts at the MPR booth and spent Saturday night wandering the grounds post shift. We’re going back this weekend to really do it up right. I love the fair.

*I had another show at The Coffee Grounds last Friday. It was a nice turn out. I played with Leonard James of Birds of Virginia, a great alt-country band. It was fun. But, after making the album and hearing a lot of these songs with drums and bass, they just feel empty to me playing them alone. I need to find myself a band. But that goes back into the whole what do I want to do with this thing. Starting a band is a big commitment.

*And, finally, today I cancelled our cable. As of Wednesday, we will no longer have cable television. I’m strangely scared.

And that was August. I know other things happened. I wish I would have documented the recording process better. Maybe I’ll sum that up in another post.

Onto September!

No comments: