Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Another 25 Songs

I’ve been sick this week. But last night, I was feeling better. I went to bed happy with the thought that I might be fully recovered by Saturday.

And then it stormed.

Around 1:45am, the first rumble of thunder happened and then it never stopped. Thunder rumbled for the next 4 and a half hours. Constantly. There were no breaks. Lightening flashed non-stop. I’ve never witnessed a storm stay so constant for so long.

Of course, this upset the dog. So, I got up around 2am to sleep in the den (he calms down when the TV is on). I crammed myself onto the tiny Ikea couch and tried to sleep, but could not get comfortable. I moved to the floor. But the hard wood was no better. I tossed and turned until sometime after 4am when I thought the storm had passed and I decided to crawl back into bed. As soon as I did, it started up again. This time it was louder and there was a lot of rain. So I got up again and squeezed back onto the couch, determined to sleep. Eventually I did fall asleep. When I woke up, my ear was in terrible pain. I had been holding the pillow over my head so tight, that I was basically punching myself in the ear all night.

The alarm went off at 6:30 and the storm miraculously quit. How does it know to do that? How can it last all through the sleeping hours and quit as soon as the alarm goes off? It’s crazy.

So now I am super tired and not feeling very well again. I just want to go home and sleep. But since I am at work, here’s another installment of 25 Songs That Play on My iPod While I Am Sick At Work. It’s been a while.

“Postcard” – Lucy Michelle and the Velvet Lapelles
“Potion” – Morphine
“All the Wine” – The National
“Badlands” – Bruce Springsteen
“Lifeboat” – Ani Difranco (new - unreleased song)
“To Ramona” – Bob Dylan’
“Trickle Down” – Brenda Weiler
“Face Down in the Right Town” – Earlimart
“Open” – The Cure
“Brandy Alexander” – Feist
“Lit Up” – The National
“Love and Communication” – Cat Power
“Daisies” – Jentri Collelo
“6/8 Ballad” – Grickle Grass
“Hail to Whatever You Found in the Sunlight That Surrounds You” – Rilo Kiley
“Both Hands” – Ani Difranco
“Vitamin C” – Big Audio Dynamite
“A Certain Pleasure” – Erin McKeown
“Juicebox” – The Strokes
“Tonight, Tonight” – Smashing Pumpkins
“Desire” – Ryan Adams
“Field Below” – Regina Spektor
“For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti” – Sufjan Stevens
“Miss Independent” – Kelly Clarkson
“Float On” – Modest Mouse

No comments: