Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Y Kant Tori Amos Pronounce Words Correctly Anymore?


Last night the song “Winter” by Tori Amos shuffled into my listening ears while I was playing another exciting game of Spider Solitaire via the AARP website . Great game. Anyway, I was struck by how amazing her vocals are. She is an amazing singer. Or, was an amazing singer. What happened?

It’s not that she’s lost her range, but she’s taken on this very strange accent when she sings. It’s like she’s forgotten how to say vowels. ‘O’ turns into ‘E’. ‘A turns into U’. It’s very very weird and ruins all new material from her. Unfortunately, it also ruins all live recordings of older songs, too.

I heard a live radio broadcast of “Silent All These Years” recently. It hurt my ears so much to hear her pronounce the chorus: “Sueeelent ooooll these yeeeers”. Who talks like that? It is irritating.

Then there is the recording I have of “1000 Oceans” – oh, wait, that’s now “1000 Eeeeesheeuns”. What the hell is an “eeeesheeun” and how do you get 1000 of them?

I don’t know why she’s chosen to speak/sing this way. I’ve heard a couple of her official boots where she is talking in some sort of strange British accent. I know she lives in London and is married to a Brit and maybe it’s the whole Madonna disease happening. Fine. I tend to pick up accents pretty easily when I’m around people with accents. But that still doesn’t explain the singing. She’s totally doing it on purpose and it is ruining her music. Do her fans really enjoy it? I know she has some serious fanaticals out there. Do you think they all run around talking like this now? Maybe it’s their own Tori Amos version of Klingon. I guess, for me, I’ll stick to the classic, album versions of her older songs.

Like, “Winter”. Which last night, totally hit me and I think is so beautiful and heartbreaking. I never gave the lyrics much thought before. It’s a gorgeous song. Give it a listen.

2 comments:

kennywill said...

I got the same feeling from her Eagles' Desperado cover-up.
It looked like she's not able to fell her mouth open.
So, in the lyrics like "can hurt you somehow.."
She sang pronouncing " Ceooon hhhhhhrrt euuuu smmmhow.. "
And for " Love " , she say " LLLLLLLLVVVVV"
Before singing, in narration, she said very clearly without any single error in saying.
Her pronunciation doesn't match her beautiful voice at all.

Unknown said...

She is in her own lane and does it ger way. Winter is my favorite song of Tori's. Its sounds like a quasi Irish accent...she us probably adding that as an exotic twist and as a child prodigy and youngest enrolled at Peabody she didnt play by their rules in terms of conformity either. That said I actually like the accent in Winter, doesnt necessarilyvtake away from the song in my opinion and she sings it with such passion. I especially love it towards the end where she flicks her hair and throws her body into the playing...it all came together for me... I lluvvvved it. ;-)