Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Sober Ramblings, Part 2



My job is changing. I am very excited. Though, I am terribly sad the person I am replacing is leaving. She is awesome and I will miss working with her.

But, for me, I get to work in HR again and I have missed it so much. I'm currently the admin for the Marketing department and all I do all day is print things and copy things and maintain calendars. I will have actual responsibilities again and I am super excited about that. And I really do enjoy working in HR. I was an HR Assistant at my last job and I miss it more than I thought I would.

My cold has gone away for the most part. I'm still a bit nasally, but otherwise, all is good.

I've been following this season of American Idol, much to my dismay. I told myself I wouldn't, but it sucked me in. Jerks. Anyway, the most annoying human to ever appear on a reality show is on this season. And, no, I am not talking about Tatiana Del Toro, but I will get to her in a second. I am talking about Danny Gokey, or Archuleta 2.0: All Grown Up. I hate him.
I hate him so much. Supposedly the guy's wife died 4 weeks before he auditioned. I say supposedly because I wouldn't put it past him to make the whole thing up just to get votes. He does nothing but talk about how he doesn't want to talk about his dead wife, but then he and his friends and family use every opportunity they can to bring it up. And he only sings inspirational dreck. A constant reminder of how he was risen from tragedy to acheive greatness. It's gross.

The icing on the cake was last week's results show. The Idol producers pitted Jesus Gokey and Tatiana Del Toro against each other for the final top 12 spot up for grabs this week. First of all, it was obvious Gokey was going through. The show and the judges have been pimping him since day 1. He's had more screen time than Ryan Seacrest. I was appalled at the way the judges all collectively orgasmed over his mediocre performance of Mariah Carey's "Hero" the night before. He was going through, whether he had the most votes or not.

He's standing center stage next to Tatiana, who is on the verge of a breakdown. Was she faking? I don't know, nor do I care. She kept trying to grab his arm. It is an Idol rule that if you are going against someone head to head for a spot, you put your arms around each other for support. He kept backing away from her. He looked like Mr. Popularity backing away from the weird girl for fear it might make him look uncool. Then when they announced he was through, he started cheering and fist pumping and Tatiana was left in tears. Idol rule #2: when you get through after going head to head with someone, you always hug and comfort them first. It just made him look like an arrogant asshole.

I've also been very annoyed with the producers and their desire for Tatiana to go nuts. The judges are constantly trying to get her to freak out and she's not falling for it and I say good for her. Is it possible that she watched herself back in the audition rounds and was mortified? Maybe she never realized she was weird before. Maybe now she is trying to keep her cool so people will stop making fun of her. The way they treated her was really ugly.

But enough about Idol.

Have I mentioned how much I've been digging Hole's Live Through This album? What a
fantastic album. I cannot get enough. I want to listen to it over and over again.

I played some Rock Band 2 for the first time in a month. There is an incredibly difficult song that keeps popping up now, "Get Clean" by Anarchy Club. God, it's awful and I can barely get past the first 20 seconds. In fact, I've only been further once, and that was yesterday. It is ruining my enjoyment of the game. It keeps showing up and I can't beat it so then I have to abandon the gig and start over at a lower difficulty, which is just boring for all of the other songs. It makes me not want to play anymore.

The Academy Awards were last night. No real suprises. I was happy Kate Winslet won. I was sad Robert Downey, Jr. lost. Do people really truley believe that Heath Ledger would have won if he was alive? Would he even have been nominated? It was a good popcorn movie. He was the highlight of it, but he is not the be all and end all. Hopefully, the whoring out of his name can finally end and he can be put to rest.

I liked the new stage set up. But where was Jack Nicholson? I did not see him in the front row. I liked Hugh Jackman and thought the opening routine was great. I hated the previous winters introducing the nominees. It really dragged and it felt awkward. I tried to stay up for the Memorium, but I'm glad I missed it. It sounds like it was pretty tacky.

I think I've rambled on about nothing for long enough today.

Have a great week!

No comments: