Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sick and Tired

I'm sick.  And it's totally unfair.  

Okay, so it's never fair to be sick.  But, usually when I get sick, I get a week of slight sniffles, maybe a few aches...some warning signs that sickness is soon to come.  This took me completely by surprise.

I was feeling great all last week.  Then, as I was sitting in a very long budget meeting on Friday afternoon, my throat started to feel sore.  I assumed I was just tired and didn't think much of it.  Then on the bus home, I could barely keep my eyes open.  Once again, I just thought I was tired.

My husband and I had dinner plans that night to celebrate Valentine's Day.   So I sucked it up and didn't let my "tiredness" get to me.

As the night wore on, I could feel myself getting worse.  Sure enough, when I woke up the next morning, I felt like crap.  I was still functional, but definitely sick.  I spent the day on the couch helping my husband play Zelda: Twilight Princess.  It's one of my favorite things to do.  Watch my husband play video games and help him figure out puzzles and where to go and what to do.  I get to nervous and anxious to actually play myself.

On Sunday, nothing much had changed.  I managed to make it out to my co-worker's kid's big metal show at a local bar.  And for a metal band full of 17 year olds, they were pretty good.  I was impressed.

Monday morning was another story.  I was completely out of commission.   Luckily, it was President's Day and my office was closed.  I spent the day lounging around and doing absolutely nothing.  I went to bed early prepared to go to work on Tuesday.

Tuesday ended up being the worse day (so far).   I got up with every intention of calling in and working from home.  Except, I couldn't log into my email from home because my password expired.  I had to go into the office to change my password.  I also gathered up some work to do at home and left.  I was at work a total of 30 minutes.

I worked for about an hour at home and then retired to the couch.  I watched a lot of daytime television and wondered why advertisers find this to be the prime time to sell laxatives.  Every other commercial revolved around bathroom activities.

The night was spent (lost) to American Idol.  I swore I was not going to watch this season.  I found my idol last season.  Every episode this year gets worse and worse.  The talent is greatly lacking.   The production value has gone way down and the new rules make no sense and seem really unfair.  I spent two hours on that show last night and hated every second of it.  And no matter what the Idol producers want, I will not root for this Danny - ImissmydeadwifebutIdon'twanttotalkaboutherbutwaititwillgetmevotessohereIgo - Gokey fellow.   It's disgusting.  He's not even that good of a singer, and he doesn't have the looks or charm to make up for it.  He sucks and I hope he goes home first because everyone else thinks so, too.   Anyway, I think I just watch so I have more to read about on the internet.  I'm addicted.  To the internet.

I managed to make it to work today.  I found out some really exciting news about my job.  I'll talk more of that in another post later.  But, I left a couple of hours early.   I'm still not feeling anywhere near 100%.  I think I'm hovering around 35-40%.   But there was a slight improvement from yesterday to today.  Hopefully I will feel better by the weekend and be able to enjoy it.  My three day weekend was completely robbed from me.

Sadly, I'm excited to be home right now because after watching Oprah yesterday, I got really excited to watch her today.  Oprah is so awesome.  She completely sucks you in.  

SoapNet also airs reruns of Beverly Hills, 90210.  They are on my favorite time period right now.  I highly enjoy the post college years when they are all out in the "real world".   Both Oprah and 90210 are starting in 10 minutes, so off to the couch I go!

No comments: