Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Recommended Listening

I just picked up two great albums this past week.

Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds













A beautiful folk album. Lead singer, Nate Lacy, sounds eerily similar to Modest Mouse frontman Isaac Brock, fittingly so as Isaac Brock produced the album. It sounds like a Modest Mouse: Folk version. I don't say that to undermine the album, as it is truly beautiful. A great album to listen to on headphones so you can pick up all the little bits and pieces that were put into it.

The XX - XX












This is one of those bands that people start to talk about but I never hear and have a hard time believing they are really a band and not something made up by hipsters to seem super cool. But, yes, they are a band and their album is beautiful. I assumed, by their name, that they would be some noisy feedback trio. But their songs lean more towards The Cure than Sonic Youth. They are sad young adults singing trippy sad love songs...and it's awesome.

Also recently discovered:

Janelle Monae - "Tightrope". All I can say is, check out this video and then try not to walk around your house doing this dance. I dare you.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so happy that you have discovered this amazing artist. She is the real deal!