Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Walking Strange

Last night was open mic night at O'Donovan's again. There was only a couple of us there to play, so I did 7 songs. I think that's my new record. I debuted a new song titled "Walking Strange" and discovered it's not quite ready yet. I think it would be an awesome song with a full band, someone to do an awesome blues guitar solo. Seriously. But, with just me, it didn't quite become anything...and the lyrics aren't quite stuck in my head yet as I thought they were. I wrote down the lyrics and brought a cheat sheet up on stage, but that does no good when you can't read it.

My nerves are going away, though, so that makes it all the more fun. I really enjoyed myself last night. I can tell my comfort level on stage is going up because I can talk to the crowd more. I really need a new guitar, though. Mine has become so unreliable. I can't believe that out of the 3 guitars I have, none of them work when plugged in. I know they are all old, but come on! The one I used last night does work, but the PA sound has to be so adjusted for it that it just doesn't sound quite right. And who knows what will happen if I ever try to plug in at another venue. I'm thinking a new guitar might become a priority.

Last night's set:

Walking Strange
Back at the Start (I love singing this song, but it is very slow and I worry people get bored)
Good
Acid Tongue (Jenny Lewis cover. This was so much fun and got a good response. I will definitely be doing it again)
Cast a Spell
Everest (Ani Difranco cover. I felt I owed it to the woman to play one of her songs, but it didn't go so well. I probably won't cover her again)
Lord, I Have Made You a Place In My Heart (Greg Brown cover)

No comments: