Pages

Monday, December 22, 2008

Poisoned

I had food poisoning on Saturday. At least that's what I think it was. Although I can't trace it back to any one food source. I just know I wouldn't wish what I went through on anybody.

I woke up Saturday around noon feeling really hungover. Understandable, given the festivities the night before. My stomach felt upset, but I just thought I needed some food. My husband offered to run to the store to get what I was craving: bananas and spaghetti-os. While he was gone, I made trip #1 to the bathroom and threw up. It has been years since I threw up. What a horrible feeling.

He came home and I had the banana. Within minutes I was back in the bathroom for vomit session #2. I tried to drink some orange juice and water. #3, #4. Nothing was staying down.
I tried to go back to bed. As I laid there, my stomach pains grew worse. I was actually wailing in agony. The only relief I could get was by throwing up. But that would only last a few minutes and then slowly the pain would return.

Eventually I started getting really concerned. I was feeling light headed and the nausea was bringing me to the breaking point. I told my husband that I think I needed to go to the doctor.

Unfortunately, we had a major snow storm that day so the roads were terrible. I kept going back and forth on whether or not I should go and risk the drive. We decided we had no choice and I needed to go. At this point I couldn't even stand anymore.

Around 6pm, we got into the car and drove to the nearest Urgent Care. Closed. My fingers and head were tingling. I had my head sticking out the window to get air. We headed to the next closest. After the usual waiting period (I thought this was urgent?) I finally met with the doctor. He confirmed I was very dehydrated and, though they did not have the equipment to give me an IV for fluids, they were able to give me an anti-nausea/anti-vomiting shot. It would also help me sleep.

He told me to get some gatorade and mix it with water and sip that for the rest of the night.

When we got home, I took a sip of gatorade and it was probably the greatest thing I've ever tasted. I fell asleep within a half hour.

When I woke up on Sunday, I felt fine. My stomach was rumbling with hunger pains and my whole upper body was (and still is) one big muscle strain, but I wasn't doubled over in pain.

It just sucks that I lost a full Saturday.

And I missed the 25 Cent Taco Christmas show.

And now I'm scared to eat certain things.

No comments: