Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

To Muse, Rant, and Ramble

Let's get back to the basics here:

Musing: I've been thinking about what I want to do with my life now that I have this "opportunity" to make a change. Part of me wants to run away from the corporate world forever and live on a commune or something. But, the logical side of me tells me to "Get A Job!". I do have a house to pay for and a recording habit to feed.

This is how I muse.

What's funny is that I tend to express these thoughts on the internet, like now, and then I freak out and think about some recruiter looking me up online to check me out before offering me an interview and seeing me openly think about these things and then thinking to themselves "well, she doesn't really want this job." It's a weird social media world out there right now. I will say that I refuse to apply for just any job and that any job I apply for is going to be a job that I really do want.

But, really, why should thoughts I post online matter to a potential employer? Of course I'm reevaluating things in my life and asking for advice from friends and family and people in my social network. A person should be allowed to do this without consequence.

Still, it freaks me out and I am tempted to delete what I wrote above. But I won't.

Rant: Have you seen those awful Black Friday Target commericals? They make me stabby. I don't watch a lot of TV anymore and I'm proud to say that since I've been laid off, I have not turned the TV on during the day. No daytime talk shows for me. But I do still have programming I watch in the evenings and whenever I do, the commercials just stun me. It's amazing when you step away from that particular advertising world for a while and then come back to it how loud and aggressive and just wrong it is. It's all IN YOUR FACE!!! BUY BUY BUY!!! It makes me tense. I have to look away, it almost hurts my eyes.

These Target commercials are the worst, though. They are everything that is wrong with the world. I'm not going to pretend that I celebrate Christmas as some god following happy birthday baby jesus person. I celebrate Christmas because it's what I've done my entire life. But these commercials just destroy any sort of Christmas joy I had left.

I call them sickies. And, yes, I know this is a Walmart and not a Target.

Whether you are Christian or not, Christmas should be about something bigger than getting a good deal on a Blue Ray player. Even if that something bigger is just spending time with family you never get to see. And opening at midnight on Friday? Target, I am disappoint. Why not just open up Thanksgiving morning and be done. Thanksgiving has completely been usurped by Christmas now anyway. Its only purpose is to give everyone Friday off so they can shop. It's only a matter of time before businesses smarten up and realize if they give these sales on Thanksgiving, they can get everyone back in the office on Friday. Just wait. It will happen.

Also, I guess I can cross Target off my list of potential employers.

Rambling: I picked up the new Noel Gallagher album last weekend. I have been waiting for Noel to release a solo album since I first got way too into Oasis and realized Noel is the most ridiculously awesome person ever.

Awesome.

The album is exactly what I expected it to be. Noel knows his niche and sticks to it. And I appreciate that. And the album title, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds...what is that? Love it. Just nonsense. The album isn't going to change your life and if you weren't already a fan of all things Noel Gallagher, it probably won't catch your ears. But I enjoy it very much. I find it very comforting in these times. Kind of like how the Eddie Vedder ukulele album felt this summer. Funny how my 2 rock star crushes from the 90s have reemerged as musical saviors of my soul. Thanks, guys.

No comments: