Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mates of State at the Fine Line

Friday was Mates of State.

Being the delicate state of mind that I am in and how emotionally drained I am, it was hard to be super energized for such an energetic show. I think Mates of State have, like, one slow song so a roughly 90 minute set of full on dance music was a little more than I could handle at this time.

But they were good. Really good. I don't know how they keep that energy up the whole time. And Jason Hammel, the drummer and co-vocalists, is amazing. I don't know how he sings and plays those drums like that at the same time for the whole show. It's not like he's just keeping a steady 4/4 beat the whole time. He's really doing some crazy stuff.

And they were wearing long sleeved shirts, Kori (keyboardist and co-vocals) was wearing flannel. Flannel! And I swear she didn't break a sweat. How do people do that? I could perform in a tank top and daisy dukes and I would sweat like crazy.

They did a great job of mixing up their set. I'm not crazy about the new album, so I was pleased that they never once played 4 in a row from the new album. They kept it completely mixed up. One new song, a few from the past, another new one, a few more from the past and so on. Since the show I've given the new album another try and I like it a bit more. It's funny how hearing songs live can do that.

Wow. This is quite the rambling non-sensical review. Sorry about that.

To summarize: Mates of State played a great show at the Fine Line, but I was too tired and sad to fully enjoy it.

The End.

P.S. I'm playing at the Fine Line on November 30th. Thinking of trying out a Mates of State cover. Though I'm not sure which song to do....

No comments: