Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

A New Leaf

So, I don't have a job anymore.

Scary stuff, right?

I'm watching the first snow fall of the season...a temporary change in the landscape.... and thinking about the changes I am currently facing.

It's been a tough year. One of my worst, honestly. There have been some patches of light along the way - and I'll get to those in a future post - but for the most part, things have been pretty bleak. I began my first foray into credit card debt. My dad had a near death experience and is now spending his days in an assisted living home that, while not terrible, is not how he or I would have opted for him to spend his "golden" years. Murray, my wonderful beautiful special little baby dog, died and I still can't say that without crying. And now, I am jobless and not by my choosing.

What's a person to do with all of that?

Winter is approaching...well, physically it is here. The snow is coming down. My days look to consist of being stuck at home, alone, with no car for the worst of the winter months. Dark. Cold. Scouring the internet for that perfect job....

Sounds....unpleasant.

At the same time, I also feel like I've been given an opportunity. I think I need to look at it that way. Now is the time to make some changes. I feel like the universe has been screaming that at me for months now and I've just refused to listen. Now I don't have a choice.

I now have some time to take care of me. Yes, I will still spend part of my day, every day, looking for work. But you can only search for jobs for so long each day. There are only so many out there. The rest of the time I can devote to making my little life a little better.

I'll have time to work out every day. I can drop those pounds I gained over the years spending 8 hours sitting at a desk, snacking, with Potbelly sandwiches always at the ready.

I can get organized. Our house is full of so much stuff that we never use that just takes up space. It will be nice to begin to go through it all - a little every day - and start clearing out the clutter.

I can fix up this place. Maybe paint the bathroom. Replace that light fixture I hate so much.

And I can really work on my music. My days are free now to write and record and really do this right. I can go out to the venues at night and talk to people and not have to worry about getting up in the morning. I can play anywhere at anytime. I can make videos. I can put myself out there as much as I choose. I'm really looking forward to that. (In fact, check the Upcoming Shows page on this blog...I already have shows lined up!)

But, in the end, I will need a job. The bills have to be paid. I really want to think about what I want to do and what I know I don't want to do. I have ideas. This is a turning point. An opportunity. A chance to make my world what I want it to be.

I'm thinking...Doggie Daycare.

No comments: