Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Funny Things (To Me)

Alright. Time to lighten things up around here.

There are some things that strike me as hilarious - for reasons I can’t explain - every time I see/hear them. They may not be funny to you, but gosh darnit, they are funny to me.

1. Close All the Tabs?

There is a blog I love called Hyperbole and a Half. Allie Brosh is a super funny gal with super funny drawing capabilities. This post in particular had me cracking up, especially the repeated “Clean ALL the things!?” (Honestly, you’re going to have to read that post to “get it”).

So, at work I have to use Internet Explorer. I have to. The database I work in only works through IE. Often, I have multiple tabs open. Every day when I shut down my computer, it asks me if I want to “close all the tabs?” and every day I think of Hyperbole and a Half and every day I chuckle.

2. Just Clap Your Hands

The company I work for is big on recycling. We have signs up in each kitchen detailing what can be recycled and where to put recycling and all that stuff.

When I first started working here someone put a post-it underneath the Bottles and Cans header on one of these signs. It read: Just clap your hands.

Every time I went into the kitchen, I giggled about this. Alas, it has long been taken down.

If you don’t know why this is funny, shame on you for not knowing your mid-nineties alternative all-stars. Watch below:

3. Dirty Dancing Comic

I discovered this comic strip on the internets a long time ago. It is now posted in my cubicle for daily laughter.

4. James Hetfield Shopping

I mean, come on:

5. The Misfits

Back in high school I hung out with a group of guys who introduced me to music that as a teenage girl from a small town I might never had heard or given a chance. One of these bands is The Misfits and one of these guys we affectionally called Twid. The other two guys we will call C and N.

C and N used to use Twid as sort of a punching bag. We all did. He took it well. I think he secretly liked the attention. He was a big dude, so he could certainly handle himself if he ever got fed up with it.

Being that we lived in a small town with nothing to do, we spent a lot of time just driving around and listening to music. C and N used to love to make up new lyrics to songs. But my two favorite songs they would mess with were the following Misfits songs:

“Horror Business”

“Where Eagles Dare”

All they would do is change the pronouns in these songs to say Twid, but for some reason it was particularly funny in these songs. So lines like:

“you don’t go in the bathroom with me” would be “you don’t go in the bathroom with Twid” and “I’ll put a knife right in you, I’m warning you” would be “he’ll put a knife right in you, Twid’s warning you” and “I ain’t no goddamn son of a bitch” would then be “Twid ain’t no goddamn son of a bitch” and so on and so on.

Even typing that, I started to giggle. Maybe you had to know Twid. Or maybe you had to be a 15 year old girl riding around in cars with boys being stupid.




6. Re-Tard

There is a scene early in the movie The Hangover when the guys are driving to Vegas. Zack Galifianakis is talking about Rain Man and he calls him a re-tard. Not a retard (pronounced retard), but a re-tard (pronounced ra-tard – accent on the second syllable. I have no idea how to write that to get the pronunciation across). After seeing this movie in the theater, I laughed myself to sleep thinking about this line. Still do sometimes.

7. You’re Mom’s House

I was using Foursquare to check in somewhere once and one of my location options was “your mom’s house”. I thought that was the funniest thing ever. So clever, yet so stupid. Basically, I will laugh extensively at any sort of “your mom” jokes.

8. Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds is a character on It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia played by Danny Devito and he is funny. He’s always calling his ex-wife a whore or random women whores. Expect, he doesn’t say it like whore, he says “hoo-ore”.

I laugh every time.

No comments: