Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Was It All A Dream?


I have this very vivid memory of driving on some country road with my parents and other family members when I was a very little girl. I was sitting in the front seat between my mom and dad (back before every car had bucket seats). We were behind a car that had a canoe strapped to the top. As we were rolling along, the canoe flew off the top of the car, narrowly missing us, and landing in the ditch.

It was a definite moment of terror in my young life.

But, the thing is, I have no idea if that actually happened.

It's all so clear to me. The road, the car, our car, the canoe in the ditch. But part of me, for whatever reason, thinks it might have just been a dream.

It's something I always try to remember to ask my dad about, but then I always forget when I talk to him. And would he even remember? As a kid, it was pretty scary. But for an adult, it was just a moment on the road.

If it happened at all.

Either way, to this day, I get freaked out driving behind cars with anything strapped to the top.

No comments: