Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

103

Today, the temperature is the hottest it's been in 23 years. 103 is the recorded high for today, but my car said 102 degrees:


23 years is a really long time. We're talking 1988. People who are legally able to drink alcohol today weren't even born yet. That's crazy.

And that makes me old.

On this day in 1988, I was a couple of months shy of my 9th birthday and just leaving the 3rd grade.


I lived in Waconia, MN in a 3rd floor tiny apartment with my dad across the street from the elementary school I attended. My mom had died 2.5 years prior. Dad worked a lot. I fended for myself a lot. This meant I skipped school a lot. That was my 8 year old life.

I loved watching Lassie and Mr. Ed on Nickelodeon. I was about a year away from discovering New Kids on the Block. I loved Michael Jackson's Bad album and Weird Al's parody, Even Worse. I'm fairly certain I had this poster on my bedroom wall:

And I didn't even like Kirk Cameron.

I remember my 9th birthday party. I had a sleepover with about 5 girls from school. I vaguely remember sitting with the lights off with something that glowed in the dark. I want to say it was a hula hoop, but that seems weird.

Bush Sr. was the VP and won the Presidential election later that year.

Celebrities born in 1988:
Haley Joel Osment - April 10th
Adele - May 5th
Princess Beatrice - August 8th

Top 5 singles of 1988:
"Faith" - George Michael
"Need You Tonight" - INXS
"Got My Mind Set On You" - George Harrison
"Never Gonna Give You Up" - Rick Astley
"Sweet Child O' Mine" - Guns N' Roses

Rain Man was the top grossing film of the year and also won the Oscar.

23 years ago. I don't even feel like I've been around for 23 years yet. How is that possible?

23 years from now it will 2034. I will be 54. 54!!!

How will I look back on this year?


2 comments:

Kimi said...

1988 was also the first time we stayed up past midnight on New Year's Eve. Remember? Steve Winwood's "Roll with Me" was deemed the number one song of 1987 by VH1. Or am I off by a year? At any rate, I've always hated that song.

Niki said...

That seems about right.

That song could have been my 30 Days of Music: Least Favorite Song. But I think I blocked it out.