Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hangover Sunday

I know better than to drink tap beer. I definitely know better than to drink tap beer from a bar like Palmer's, but I did so anyway. Stupid me. Lesson learned. I am hungover.

Tap beer just does not sit well with me. I heard somewhere that tap beer is more likely to cause a hangover due to the uncleanliness of the pipes it comes out of.

I should really know better.

The weekend was supposed to be full of sunshine, but as with the rest of the days lately, it was filled with rain - and I'm not being metaphorical. It rains all the time lately. The sun was out for a good hour today, but, looking outside right now, it looks like this:

Cloudy and grey with just slight teases of blue sky.

The sun also came out briefly on Saturday night. I was inside watching Mexico vs. USA at The Nomad. But I still felt it. Even if brief.


I caught some band at Acadia that was heavily inspired by the likes of the Jeff Healy Band and Michael McDonald. You don't see that much these days. They had a saxophone player. And they were youngish dudes. Very odd.

Then it was off to the aforementioned Palmer's where I drank heavily and enjoyed a set by the Rank Strangers.

I also played a show this weekend. I did a solo set at The Coffee Grounds. It had been a while since I played alone, so I broke out a bunch of songs that I don't get to play when I play with someone else. New songs, an old song, covers, songs from the album that I tend to neglect. I played a lot of songs. And I played them quickly. I had a running list of songs for my setlist that I was just picking and choosing from and, after only 30 minutes of playing, I had played through 10 of them.

The lovely Sarah Morris also played a set. Her voice is incredible. Make sure to catch her playing live sometime if she's in your area.

I picked up some albums today from Electric Fetus to keep up with my promise to myself that I am going to buy physical albums again instead of digital downloads. I got:

Bon Iver: Bon Iver
The Elected: Bury Me in Rings
Holly Golightly & the Brokeoffs: No Help Coming
Lissie: Catching a Tiger

After a super quick scan through all of them, Holly Golightly is the only one to really grab my attention. But, that is bound to change, I'm sure.

And, finally, I finished The Hunger Games trilogy today. Wow. Is that a crazy series. I don't even know where to begin with it. All I can ever say when I talk about it is that it's brutal. Very brutal. Graphic, violent, sad, lonely. Not for the squeamish. I'm really intrigued by the prospect of the film version. How are they going to put such a violent movie to the screen? Kids are killed in terrible, terrible ways.

Setlist for the The Coffee Grounds 6/24/11
-Good
-Can't Even Tell
-Minnesota
-Flavor
-No Words
-Blue Whale (my friend who's poem inspired this song was there so I has so happy to play it for her)
-Thursday
-Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry cover)
-The Party
-Easy to Blame
-In the Company of Elvis
-Evaporated (Ben Folds Five cover)
-Ramble Song
-The Woods
-Cast A Spell
-Rayner Park (Rank Strangers cover)

No comments: