Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lucky Star

So, I got these new boots.


I’ve talked about them before. There isn’t really anything special about them. In fact, they are so the opposite of special that you can find some version of them in any store that sells shoes.*


But, I was drawn to them for some reason and when I tried them on, they were so full of comfort that I had to get them.


The other day as I was walking to the bus, I caught my reflection in a window (Okay, I was totally purposely looking. You know you do it, too) and saw how my boots looked when I walked and realized why I like them so much.


They remind me of the boots Madonna wore in the “Lucky Star” video.



Now, as you can plainly see, they are nothing like the boots in the video except that they are both black and about the same height. But, when I walk in them, they feel on my feet how I imagine those boots felt on Madonna.


Sounds strange, right?


But, when I was a little girl and idolized Madonna, I would watch this video and try to copy the dance moves in my living room. Not realizing that it was just my inability to dance, I assumed it was those totally kick ass boots she wore that allowed her to dance that way and if I could just get a pair, I, too, would be able to jump and kick my leg high in the air.


So now, when I walk in these boots, with their light as air cushioned soles, I kind of want to break into the “Lucky Star” dance just to see if my little girl self was right all along. I haven’t tried it yet.


Maybe tonight…


Side note: How cool was Madonna back then? Look at her! She ruled. I so wanted to dress like that, but I was too young.


*You could find them in any store, but now that it’s summer, shoe stores assume you no longer want to buy boots and it is impossible to find a pair. I have been searching for a different pair and boots have just disappeared from the planet for the summer.



No comments: