Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

An Ear Full

After a scare with my digital music collection (almost losing it all), I've decided that music is too precious to be so easily disposed of with just the wrong click of a button. So from now, I will buy all albums from a physical record store. The occasional drunken iTunes session of Lady GaGa, Debbie Gibson, and Poison downloads is still okay. But any album that I really want I will have to go out and purchase just like back in the old days.

Which is what I did today.

I headed to the best record store in town - Electric Fetus - and picked up 5 new to me albums. They are:

1. Wye Oak - Civillian













I am head over heels in love with the song "Civillian". It's making it's way onto the list of songs that my insides go crazy for when it plays (see also "Terrible Love" by The National and "The Mistress Witch of McClure" by Sufjan Stevens - amongst others). After a quick listen, the album may be a little to grungy guitar rock ala Paramour for my tastes (honestly, I have no idea what Paramour sounds like), but I'll see how I feel after a few more thoughtful listens.

2. Haley Bonar - LeO













Friday night was the CD release show for Haley Bonar's new release, Golder (see below). It was a beautiful show. The girl has amazing talent. Her band is awesome. She should be right up there with Jenny Lewis as far as Indie Lady Darlings go. The LeO album is an EP of instrumentals.

3. Lucy Michelle and the Velvet Lapelles - Good of That












I think I like Lucy Michelle and the Velvet Lapelles more than I think I do. She inspires me to do crazy things on the ukulele. Her lyrics are quirky, yet meaningful. I'm a big fan of their Orange Peels and Rattlesnakes album, so this one has a lot of pressure on it. Upon first listen: I like it.

4. Grant Cutler and the Gorgeous Lords













Grant Cutler used to be in Lookbook. Lookbook never really grabbed me. This new project is quite good. Slow, moody, Low like songs. A deep voice over dreary, doomsday music. Also good is that it's just 4 songs long. Just the right length for songs like these.

5. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me













This album is not 4 songs long. It's 3 discs long. Many songs reaching over 9 minutes. Her voice is heartbreaking. The music is intelligent. I would love a night of red wine and this album and only this album and really, really listening. That's not going to happen tonight. But someday soon.

Other albums I picked up recently that I'm also giving a listen to tonight:

Haley Bonar - Golder











This is the new CD. It's beautiful. You should buy it.

Gift or Creatures - Pilot House













I played with these folks at Keweenawesomefest. Super nice people. And they make super nice music. Country tinged, dreamlike, boys and girls singing together (which you know I love). Check them out.

I've been overwhelmed by music lately. I really cannot get enough. That's usually the case anyway, but lately it's been kind of overtaking my every moment. Whatever I'm doing, I find myself thinking how much I'd rather be playing my music or listening to someone else's. #addicted. Oops. Too much Twitter lately.


No comments: