Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Thoughts On The Royal Wedding

Since everyone else is writing and commenting on the big Royal Wedding tomorrow, I thought I should, too. Also, because I am kind of excited about it.

I have no recollection of Princess Di and Prince Charles’ wedding except for what I’ve seen in clips on the E channel. I wasn’t quite 2 years old at the time. I’m also not someone who is super into the Royal Family (is that supposed to be capitalized?). I saw the movie The Queen. I enjoyed it. I enjoy reading about Prince William and Prince Henry’s drunken antics. But that’s about it. I really can’t tell you much about their history or lineage.

But this wedding has totally sucked me in and I am bummed that I will be unable to watch it. Brit’s Pub in downtown Minneapolis is having a viewing party tomorrow morning. Sounds like a blast. But I will be at work. And that’s fine. I’m sure there is a web stream somewhere.

I think the main reason I want to watch it is to see the live shots of London and think back to my trip. I was looking at pictures of the proposed procession route and I just kept thinking: I’ve been there! And I want to go back!

There’s also something just very cool about the whole thing. All the hoopla. It’s just so steeped in tradition. That’s something that I think all of the Royal Wedding Haters seem to forget. Yes, I’m American and I “shouldn’t care” about a wedding in another country that has nothing to do with me. But, isn’t it interesting from an historical standpoint? These royal wedding productions have been going on for ages. You don’t see a lot of that honoring of the past in the modern world today. You also don’t see a lot of beheadings, and that’s a good thing. But it’s still kind of cool.

And, if I’m being honest, I also really want to see the wedding dress. Kate Middleton is quite the fashonista, yet she has this really cool vibe to her. I’m interested to see if she will go the full blown princess route, or if she’ll stick to her cool, slick demeanor and go for something a little more sleek and modern.

And, lastly, like the World Cup, it’s a lot of fun to watch something and be a part of something that the whole world is watching and connected to. The world is actually a very small place. And tomorrow, a big chunk of it will be watching this happen. I want to be a part of it.

No comments: