Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Oh, Those Summer Nights

I'm aching for summer. I need it to arrive soon. I'm sick of the dreary greyness of winter. But it is only March and we have so much further to go.

We've had a couple of nice days - amazing days this week. 60 and full sunshine. It's been beautiful. We've opened the windows and let the fresh air back into the house. Just beautiful.

But, with summer comes a lot of things that I was just reminded of last night that I have a really difficult time tolerating.

Like kids. Kids are everywhere in the summer. And by kids, I mean 10-18 year olds. They stay out late every night. The scream and yell in the yards and roads all day long. There is never peace. It is always noisey. I am unable to enjoy my beautiful backyard because of the constant screams of the neighborhood children.

Or nighttime noise. I am a very light sleeper. I wake up to my dog yawning. In the winter, the windows are closed, the storm windows down, the furnace blowing it's white noise all night long. It's quiet. I sleep. In the summer, the windows are open, the furnace is off and I hear everything. Those kids playing until midnight because they have nothing to do the next day. The traffic noise from the nearby highway. The traffic noise from the neighborhood. I don't sleep in the summer.

Clothing. Clothing is another issue. I never have anything to wear in the summer. I don't do shorts. I don't like to do tank tops. I prefer to show as little skin as possible. I'm not a prude, I just feel it's best for everyone this way.

Oh, the humidity. I can't deal with humidity. That sticky, sweating feeling. It's the worst.

But, even with all of that, I still want it to get here. Today it will barely crack 35 degrees. It is cloudy. It is grey. It is depressing. Winter has lasted too long now. And it's only the middle of March.

No comments: