Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Folking It Up

I played at another open mic night last night. This one had a real folky vibe to it. It was so much fun. I had my first few real on stage moments. During my song "Cast a Spell", I looked up at the crowd (and, yes, it was a crowd! There were at least 40 people there! The most people I've ever played for.) and I saw this woman smiling at the line I'd just sung. Then during my second song, "Minnesota", someone actually yelled out "yeah!" after one of my lines. Needless to say, I was thrilled.

I was super nervous. More so than the first time. Maybe it was due to the large crowd or the mall lighting or the strange microphone get up, but I still had so much fun.

The best part? I walked out of there with 2 possible gigs this summer!!! I met someone who has a gig at this same coffee house in June. He said he'd let me sing some songs before his set if I wanted. Then the person who books the shows for this place pulled me aside and said that they are booked through June, but to definitely email her for future gigs because she really liked my stuff!

I tell ya, I'm just kicking myself for not starting this earlier. I've loved it. I just want to do it all the time. Yes, it's terrifying, but so what? That's part of the awesomeness. Each time I've completed a set, I just have this rush of "OMG I can't believe I just did that!!!!"

I'm meeting a lot of really interesting people. I'm doing something I've always dreamed of doing. I'm being creative. I'm putting myself out there. It's a wonderful thing.

To everyone out there who is hesitating on their dreams, is too scared of rejection....just do it!!! Don't wait! It's so worth it! I am the shyest person I know and I've broken out in hives each time before I've gone on stage, but who cares? I'm doing it and I'm loving it!

No comments: