Monday, August 10, 2009

Sunday Always Comes Too Late

What a crazy weekend.

I saw some great live music. First, Dropkick Murphys at the Irish Festival. I'm not a huge fan of theirs. Okay, I only know the one song from The Departed. But there was a time when I was into this kind of music. We got right in the middle of the crowd, just a couple of rows from the mosh pit. It was fun to get pushed around and a little muddy from the rain that fell all day. It was like I was 17 again.

We followed that with a trip to the Turf Club to see my friend's band, The Fuk Knights. Don't let the name fool you. They are actually really good. A sort of throw back to the Rockabilly/Stray Cats style. Also playing was Strut and Shock, a band containing one of my co-workers. They sound like Babes In Toyland with a little more of a pop sound. Really awesome. I mean, really awesome. It helps that I have been all about this kind of girl scream rock lately. I highly suggest you check both these bands out.

Saturday was the crazy day. In between wild thunderstorms and tornado warnings, I managed to make it to the Carver County fair. I group in Carver County and attended this fair all through my childhood, but it has been a good 15 years since I last been, and well, things change. It just seemed so dumpy. It didn't help that it was 90 and humid and cloudy.

I did run into my best friend from high school, which was my main goal of attending. She looked great. She has four kids. We exchanged numbers. Though, I wish she would get on the internet already. I'm not one for phone conversations and playing a 6 year catch up game over the phone just sounds exhausting.

After a bad idea pit stop at a local bar where I ran into a cousin I barely know and my niece got into a fight with her mom/my sister, we left Carver County behind and spent the next couple of hours playing Scene It on the Xbox which is so much fun. I won two out of the three games. All the more fun.

We got home about 10:30. Around midnight, my husband's cousin called. He was in town for a wedding. He was wasted. He wanted us to come downtown to see him. So, we did. We spent the next couple of hours playing tour guides to a drunken wedding party, culminating at Brit's Pub. We got home about 2:30am.

So, to sum it up: Great music, bad weather, long lost friends, and drunken relatives.

Oh, and there was a full moon on Saturday. That seems appropriate.

No comments: