Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

In A Coffee Shop, In A City

On the way into work this morning, my husband mentioned how he might need the car tomorrow for a volunteer gig so I will be unable to make my Saturday morning Starbucks run. He then suggested that I could bike there and just drink my cocoa and eat my donut there.

I gasped. Never! This is one thing I have never understood: Why do people go to coffee shops and sit there by themselves? You wouldn't do that at a bar.

What is relaxing about lugging your laptop or work materials or even a book to some noisy coffee shop that may or may not include obnoxious children being ignored by their parents? I don't get it.

If I want to read, I either a) read on the bus. It helps to pass the time. b) read at home in my living room. c) read outside in my backyard.

I can't imagine it is easy to do work on those tiny little tables, your papers lying in a mess around your laptop while you carefully set your steaming coffee next to them.

Maybe it's because I just don't generally care for the general public. Maybe it's because I don't understand doing something at a noisy coffee shop that you could do in the privacy and comfort of your own home.

My husband says people like to get out of the house. I agree. I do, too. But I like to DO something. Go out, be social, see sights. Not sit in a cramped coffee shop sipping my turtle mocha frappacino and playing on my macbook.

I know I'm the odd one out here. But you might as well go hang out in your local mall food court. I see no difference.

No comments: