Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

On Haircuts, Facebook, The Office, and Pearl Jam

(This is going to be incoherent and rambling and all over the place. Just a warning.)

I got a haircut last night. From Great Clips. You see, I don't really care about hair. I don't to be bothered with a fussy 'do requiring tons of upkeep and product. I am a wash and go kinda gal. Because of that, I could no longer justify spending $50 on a haircut. I can never afford that nor is it something I want to spend money on. So about 2 months ago I went to Great Clips because fuck it. It's cheap. How much damage could they do?

I got my most favorite haircut ever. LOVED IT. I was thrilled.

The problem, though, with Great Clips is that it is entirely a crapshoot who will be doing your hair when you walk in. The next time I went to get a trim, I got a new person. But she also nailed the cut. She almost made it better. Once again, I was thrilled. I had a haircut I liked that would just require minimal trimming trips to a cheap salon.

I went back in last night to get another trim. Just my bangs cut and to clean up the back a bit. NOTHING ELSE.

She chopped 3 inches off of my already short hair. I don't even know how it happened. I told her trim the bangs and clean up the back. The next thing I know, I have a completely different hairstyle.

I was livid.

Once again, I am not someone who really cares about her hair. I want to look nice, but I'm not going to put all of my energy into that. And I know hair grows back and I am totally cool with waiting for that to happen.

But not this time. Because she changed the style. The style I loved. And I don't know if I will ever get it back.              

Yeah, yeah, #firstworldproblems and all that. But I'm mad. Someone with my round face does not need this round hairstyle. Ugh. So upset. It's gonna be a long month before this grows out and I can get it fixed.

I miss you tendrils...


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A friend of mine posted an article on Facebook about the annoyances of Facebook posts and what types of posts are annoying and what you should say and shouldn't and holy shit who the fuck cares? It's a free social media website that you use to talk about what's going on with you and things you find interesting. If you don't like what someone posts, don't bother with it.

Why are people so weird about this?

As a musician who has to promote herself, it makes me feel like such an asshole - for lots of reasons. I suddenly feel like people see me post something related to what I do and roll their eyes and groan and say "god she is so annoying".

But what bothers me the most is that the people I am friends with on Facebook I consider to be friends. They have different levels of friendship. Either they are good friends I hang out with on a daily basis or maybe old friends from high school. Or co-worker friends. Or family. Or friendly musician folk who do they same self-promotion in their feeds. Either way, I don't see the difference in posting something on Facebook along the lines of "Hey! I got a new job! Yay me!" or "I just recorded this new song!" These are things going on in my life. Either I can post about it on Facebook, or when I see you in person, I can tell you then, which I will. But if it bothers you so much to see a sentence about it on Facebook, how do you think I'm going to feel the next time we are together chatting about our lives? What is the difference? I don't see one.

If everyone stopped posting on Facebook all of the things people bitch about, Facebook wouldn't exist. And if that's how you want it, then maybe you shouldn't be on Facebook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been watching the original UK version of The Office. It's good, obviously. I watched bits of it before but never finished the whole thing. But I'm just fascinated by Martin Freeman. I'm so obsessed with Sherlock and him as John Watson that it's hard to see him as Tim on The Office. But Tim also shares so many of Watson's characteristics - though I don't think that was intentional. I think that's just Martin Freeman coming through. It's also jarring because I am so use to Jim from the US The Office that I can't help compare. I kind of like Jim more. Also, they really made Jim look like Tim. Same haircut and outfit.




Also the UK one is so crude and really rude to women on a whole other level that I find it takes me out of things quite a bit. Michael Scott is terrible with women and says terrible things, too. But on the UK version, it comes from everywhere that I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a joke anymore. And the women do nothing back - whereas Pam and Angela would totally put someone in their place - or at the very least looked mad about it. It's just weird.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning I heard the new Pearl Jam single for the first time. It gave me a great case of the sads, and not in a good way. It sounds like a song Diane Warren would have written for Keith Urban. What have they done? Why are they doing this? I don't understand. It's just awful. And not even in a oh, they are an aging rock band losing their edge kind of way. It's just a completely different sound and doesn't make any sense for them to go this way. It makes even less sense than Eddie Vedder's ukulele solo album - which I LOVED.

I'm not even going to post a video of it because it makes me so sad. You'll have to go find it for yourselves.



No comments: