Tuesday, June 11, 2013

At The Dentist

Yesterday I had my root canal. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. He numbed me up so much that I nearly fell asleep. I also got the gas. Always get the gas.

I've always been terrified of the dentist. My current dentist - who I love - always jokes that every time I come there my eyes start to well up. It's true. I always cry at the dentist. Even when nothing is happening, I start to cry.

But the root canal was not so bad. This was my second one and the first one wasn't bad either, so I don't know why I was freaking out so much. I mean, when they are going to drive a drill through your tooth, you know that you are going to be pretty numb and not feel anything. At least you hope.

When he first started to drill, he stopped after a few moments to ask if everything was okay. I said it was a bit sensitive but that I assume there will be some sensitivity. He was all "umm...no. there should be no pain" and filled my gum up with more novocaine. I didn't feel a thing after that.

I was still tense, though, so they offered me the gas and I said yes. And then I couldn't resist taking this picture. Dental work always looks like you're being tortured.

While on the gas, I started to have all of these thoughts. Have you ever seen the episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where Charlie is on acid while tailgating and, while one of the McPoyles is rambling on to him, you hear Charlie's internal monologue about the guy and then he realizes that he was saying it all out loud? That was me on the gas. Except, of course, I wasn't saying it out loud because I had a mouth full of rubber and fingers. I mean, look at that picture. There was not way I was speaking. But I was still worried I was.

That's the other thing about going to the dentist. I like my dentist and I like the staff and they were having fun conversations while all of this was going on and I wanted to participate. They were talking about The Cure! I love The Cure. They were trying to figure out a song and I knew the answer but I couldn't speak. It was so frustrating. I kept thinking "I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY ABOUT THIS TOPIC!".

But I sat in silence.

They had to go through a crown to do the root canal. I had no idea how they could do that without busting it, but he assured me they could. Except, they didn't. It broke. Luckily, they are replacing it for free. Thank goodness because this root canal has already broke me. But, that means I have to go back in 2 weeks to get the new crown. Meanwhile, I have a temporary one on that I have to be careful with. No crunchy stuff. So no chips. Sad face.

I've always feared that my crowns will come popping off at any time. But after the ordeal of trying to get the other one off during this procedure, I now have no worries about that. They had to use - what they called - the "crown cruncher". Basically a nut cracker that they broke the crown with. That is never a sound you want to hear in your head. Never.

But, I'm not in pain anymore and I should be able to sing perfectly fine tonight at my second of four shows at the 331 Club for the Intermission EP Release Residency.

So that's good.

No comments: