Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Recording, Day 1

Writing songs is great. Playing them live is even better. But recording them is the best. Sure it can get to be a bit tedious when, for whatever reason, you keep screwing up a song that you've played hundreds of times before. But it's so satisfying to get those parts down and then listen to them back and realize that there's something there then expanding on it.

It's like, they're not real until that moment. Now, there it is, trapped in time forever. It's kind of scary and kind of exhilarating.

For my last album, I had a batch of songs that I really loved that had been written over many years that I put together on an album. I'm so proud of it and so happy I did it.

But with this album I have a group of songs that I've written over the past year, a lot of them with the help of someone else. There is a unifying sound to this album that I'm very excited about. It's a real album.

We exceeded my goal for the night. I had planned to just record the acoustic and electric guitar parts for two songs. We did that and moved on to one more. I had feared I'd be stuck on one song all night playing the same part over and over again. So, needless to say, I was quite pleased with how the night turned out.

And it's sounding great. I have big plans for this album - soundwise - and I was worried that I might not be able to do that due to my lack of musical knowledge. But I'm working with awesome people and it's happening and that makes me really really excited.

No comments: