Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Facebook Rollercoaster

I am an avid user of Facebook. I check it constantly. It’s really quite sad. I don’t know why I’m so addicted to it.

I’ve started using Twitter more lately and I have a Google+ account, though it’s a bit of a ghost town over there.

Today Facebook unveiled their latest change and, well, it sucks – just like every change before it sucked. But, like the other changes, I’m sure I’ll get used to it and my threats of officially switching over to Google+ will never happen. I mean, it’s boring over there and all of my friends are on Facebook and this is social networking after all. I can post status after status on Google+, but if no one is there to respond, what’s the point?

I’m actually quite amused at my reaction to this change today. I had heard that a change was coming, but I thought it was just to profiles and who hangs out on profile pages? So when I pulled up my home page today and it was different, immediately I was frustrated. Why? Why did you have to change again? What was wrong with the last version?

Then I took a moment to assess what was different. Let’s see: Only showing “top” stories that Facebook thinks I would be interested in, little triangles in the corner of status updates, Home button has moved, weird little scrolling status updates in right hand corner that are already way too distracting and that stay static when you scroll the page, events gone – wait they are still there but it just says that I have 20 upcoming and shows no details as to what is happening this week, stupid ask a question thing is still there and prominent, people to subscribe to in lower left corner – what the fuck does subscribe to mean? Is that the same as people I should know? Oh, wait, now recent stories are showing up and they are running parallel to that little status update box so now I see everything in double…

Sigh.

Now, just 7 hours after I first saw the change, I’m already a little over it. I guess it’s not so bad, I say to myself. I still don’t understand why the updates run right next to each other. Seems like a waste of space. But at least they appear to be listing in chronological order versus what a website assumes is most important to me.

Sadly, I will continue to use Facebook because I am an addict and Facebook knows this. I will get use to this redesign and – possibly down the road – say great things about it like how much better it is now that I’m used to it.

Though, Google+ certainly does look crisp and clean….

No comments: