Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thunder And Lightening And Sleeping

There are frequent thunderstorms in Minnesota in the summer. They can get pretty nasty…often. Strong winds, hail, loud booming thunder, cracking lightening. Just plain loud.

Whenever a storm is on the horizon, my Facebook page is hit with status update after status update of people saying they can’t wait for the storm to come because it is so wonderful to sleep during that kind of weather.

What. The. Fuck?

Who looks forward to a thunderstorm? Who looks forward to a thunderstorm because it helps them sleep? I don’t understand. Who looks forward to a “good night’s sleep” filled with loud crashes of thunder and bright flashes of lightening and wind that rattles the windows and rain that drums the roof? Did their parents spend their evenings throwing around pots and pans and flicking the lights on and off around the house when the kids were sleeping?

I’m not saying I’ve never slept through a thunderstorm. It’s happened. But, I would prefer one not be there when I’m sleeping. I don’t know. I kind of enjoy quiet and darkness when it’s time to go to bed.

There’s also the stress factor that comes with a wild thunderstorm. How much water is going to end up in the basement? Will I lose any trees? Is the power going to go out? Will there be hail damage?

Am I just someone who worries too much? Possibly. Do all of these people live in concrete apartments? I know that’s not the case.

I understand the desire to not leave the house and curl up somewhere during a storm. But to wish one was coming your way so you can sleep? That’s just strange.

No comments: