Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New (Anniversary Poem)

i have nothing new to

give to you

today

stories have been told

in every possible way

like the one about me

and the apple river

or the pets i had

as a kid


i have nothing new to

show you

today

you’ve seen all of my scars

both real and metaphorical

seen my hair in the morning

and the way i

chew my food


yet i wake up in the morning

with a touch of your hand

on my ankle

a gentle reminder

a new day is here

that you are here


a new way to say

good morning

without saying anything


i don’t know how you do it


i have nothing new to

tell you

today

i’ve said it before

it stays the same

i said it in a garage

filled with family

filled with friends

9 years ago

today


and it’s nothing new

how much i love you


Happy Anniversary, Baby

No comments: