Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

30 Days Of Music. Day 23: A Song You Want Played At Your Wedding

Moving along...

I'm already married. I've had the wedding. I had music there.

But, my wedding day did not go as planned. It was to be an outdoor affair at my sister's house. August 3rd was the date. All weather folks said that was a generally dry time of year, so I planned for it to be. We picked up some tents/canopies to put up just in case, but I honestly thought that the bad luck that follows me throughout most things in my life would spare me on my wedding day.

It didn't.

It rained. Not only did it rain, it poured. Not only did it pour, it came down in sheets. The ceremony was due to start at 6pm on an August evening. The sun was supposed to be shining. Instead it was pitch black out and tornado sirens were going off in the surrounding towns. We held off the ceremony for a while in hopes that it would pass.

It didn't.

We ended up getting married in my sister's garage next to where the bar had been set up.We had a tent extending from the garage that the guests (who managed to make it out in the storm) huddled under.

The first storm ended as soon as the ceremony did. The sun came shooting back out and everyone cheered and it was truly a beautiful moment.

But the next wave of bad weather made it's way in shortly after and it ended up being a very wet night.

But, we're still married and everyone says our wedding will go down as one of the best and most memorable. Our families, who had never really met, really pulled together to keep everything together and the whole event became a joyous celebration.


But, the one thing about the non-beautiful weather outdoor wedding I had wanted that I didn't get that I was really looking forward to, was to have a mix CD of Greg Brown songs playing as guests arrived and mingled outside before the ceremony. I love Greg Brown and the man can write a love song like no one else.

So this is a song that I wanted played at my wedding:

No comments: