Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Favorite Songs Ever, Part 3: "I Know" - Fiona Apple

“so be it I’m your crowbar…”

Break up songs are what make music go round. When does a songwriter feel most like expressing themselves than when they are down? You’re sad. You want to express it. You grab your guitar. You sit at your piano. You scribble out your feelings on a sheet of paper and somehow lyrics form. And you have a song.

There are millions, yes millions, of break up songs out there. Some are bitter. Some are heartbreaking. Some are empowering. But none are like “I Know” by Fiona Apple. With “I Know” she has captured the perfect moment in a break up. She has found that spot where you resign yourself to the end, yet you are still hopeful for a reunion. Somewhere in your being you think there is still a second chance option available. You think you can fix it, if you just ignore the problem at hand. Was it really a big deal? Can you live with it if it means living with that person?

“you can use my skin
To bury secrets in
And I will settle you down
And at my own discretion
I will ask no questions
While I do my thing in the background”


Her voice cracks and wavers. You can hear her struggle to sing through her pain. Fiona is one of few artists who don’t sing to sound pretty (even though she does). She really sings her emotions. You feel each and every one with every word. I find this song sometimes difficult to listen to because it is so damn beautiful. But when I do, I am so happy I did.

“and I will pretend that I don’t know of your sins
but all the time, all the time
I’ll know”


Below is a really great stripped down version of this song:

No comments: