Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Favorite Songs

I have this grand idea to post my Top 10 or 20 or 100 favorite songs. I’ve been working on this project on and off for months now and I can’t get it narrowed down past 200. I think I need to determine what makes a Favorite Song.

There are obvious choices. Songs that stop me in my tracks and I have to listen to them always. Songs that conjure up fiercely strong emotions, whether happy or sad. Songs that remind me of a specific place and time.

But then there are songs that I just really like. These are the ones I’m having a hard time with. Some days, they would fit under one of the categories listed above. Somedays they are just songs on my iPod shuffling through my ears. But, to leave them off the list, would seem wrong and disrespectful to them.

There’s also the pressure of making it a “cool” list. Of course I love the song “You Got It All” by The Jets. Whenever it comes on, I sing along and I am happy. But would I really add it to my list of Most Favorite Songs Ever? Probably not.

Then, there is the question of numbering the list. Do I put them in order? Do I pick my Most Ultimate Song? How difficult will that be when I can’t even get it narrowed down to a Best Of Top 100?

Maybe, maybe I make it an ongoing series highlighting different songs once a week or bi-weekly or something like that. That might be the best solution.

Yes, that is what I will do.

Stay tuned!

No comments: