Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cars Part 2, 1990 Ford Taurus

(Once again, not my actual car. Mine was blue)

My 1990 Ford Taurus came into my life only because my first car broke down less than a mile from a creepy little dealership off of Highway 212 outside of Shakopee, MN. I needed a phone to call for a ride. The creepy dealership guy let me use his phone. And while I waited for my dad to come get me, he smooth talked me into coming back later to buy a car from him. I, then, talked my dad into going back there and purchasing a car. I felt bad. He let me use his phone. He was creepy, but nice.

We went there to test drive some cars. Most of them were full of fail. One even started smoking less than a mile from where we took off. But, not the Taurus. It was blue. I hate blue. But it had a tape player and automatic windows. This was a pretty big deal to me. A tape player was my #1 requirement in my new car. My dad just wanted to get the hell out of there. We signed the papers and I drove away in my new to me car.

Considering the car was a 1990 and the year was 1996, it felt pretty new. A lot newer than my old Pontiac. What’s odd about this car is that I don’t remember much more about it. I owned it for at least a year, if not longer. But, I don’t recall a lot of fun times in the car. I7 was a lost year for me. I don’t remember much about being 17.

My time with this car ended when I left work and went to go start it and the ignition wouldn’t turn. At all. It was stuck. No one could get it to move. The car was left in my work parking lot for the rest of the week. One day, I decided to go try it again. It turned. I don’t know what I did differently, but it worked. So, I kept driving it. The ignition problem kept happening on and off.

Then, one day, in the mail I received a discount coupon for a dealership. They were having some big promotion and I decided to head down there. I pulled up in my Taurus and turned off the car. I realized I was parked in a bad spot, so I went to turn the car back on and move it. The ignition wouldn’t turn. I was stuck in the parking lot of a dealership with a car that wouldn’t start. There was no way I was getting out of there without buying a new car.

So I did.

No comments: