Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The TV Is Taking Over

Now that the holidays are long gone, new seasons of tv shows are starting to crowd my life. It's sad. Really sad. I plan my week around programming. Even with my DVR, I still prefer to watch "live" so that I am sure to go unspoiled.

It seems Wednesday night (tonight) is the new "must see tv" night. Every show wants to be on Wednesdays. I have American Idol, Lost, starting tonight America's Next Top Model, and whenever they get their legal issues out of the way: Project Runway. It's overwhelming. Why do I do this?

I am amazed at the people who don't watch tv and those who love to tell you that they don't even own a television. Well, la di da. I've always been a homebody and believe going out is for the weekends. Who can afford to go out night after night? I sure can't. So, maybe I should be reading instead. Well, I read on the bus. I like to save my reading for then. Should I maybe find a hobby? I have hobbies and I indulge them....when my shows aren't on.

It's really not as bad as I'm making it seem. I think the main problem is that when I am not watching tv on a week night, I'm on the computer. Either way, I'm staring at some box all night long.

But, so what? I enjoy my programming. Most of them, anyway. Some of them have become more of an obligation. Some I have learned to let go. Some I hope to do the same.

But some, some I really truly enjoy. Some play like a really good novel. Some are just all out entertaining. Some are just so ridiculous that I can't look away. These are the shows that I watch:

Mondays: Mondays are a free night for now. I used to watch 24. But they lost me after season 4 (I think. I can't keep track. It was the one where President Logan was the bad guy. I think that was his name). I loved that season. Then I started to watch the next season and just thought, meh. I don't care anymore.

Then there was Heroes. The first season started out promising, but only led to disaster. What a shitty shitty show.

Now I am just waiting for Prison Break to return. It's taking a long hiatus. It was last seen in December and is due to return mid-April to play out it's final act. I love this show so ridiculously much. I will miss it when it is gone. But it is its time to go.

Then, hopefully, my Monday's will stay tv free for good.

Tuesdays: Tuesdays are now dedicated to American Idol...sometimes. Their schedule is really weird this season. They seem to be switching back and forth from Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Either way, I devoted two hours of my life to it yesterday. I have many regrets.

Wednesdays: Oh dear god Wednesdays. Wednesdays are completely lost to me now. I have no time for anything but what I watch. For example, here is how tonight will play out:

7:00 - 8:00 American Idol
7:00 - 9:00 America's Next Top Model. I will try to watch American Idol and the first half of ANTM at the same time, flipping back and forth. I will then have to record the second half because...
8:00-9:00 Lost. Must watch Lost. Can never not watch Lost. I love Lost.
9:00-9:30 Second half of ANTM. Luckily, it is only 2 hours long on the season opener. I should be able to go back and forth between it and American Idol most Wednesdays. Except for the nights when American Idol is two hours. That is when things will get really tricky.

Eventually Project Runway will be back and that is usually on from 9:00-10:00. Ugh. Too much.

I told myself I wouldn't watch American Idol this year, but then I got sucked in. There is not a single person I am rooting for (yet) but it is such a train wreck of a season that I can't turn away. I had also told myself last year that I would never watch America's Next Top Model again, but here I go again. It doesn't help that I've joined an office pool to pick the winner.

Thursdays: The Office. This is the only show I watch on Thursdays and it is quickly losing my interest. It has been so bad lately.
I used to watch Survivor on Thursdays, too. Well, I would watch every other season. But I've missed the last two and I think I am officially done with the show. Thank god.

And that's really it. So, it's not so bad. I think I'm just overwhelmed by Wednesdays. And American Idol. My god that show is time consuming. It will take up 4 hours of my television viewing this week. It's not like that every week, but it is always, at least, two hours. Why do I do this to myself?

Did I mention baseball season is starting soon?.....

No comments: