Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

Cored



I did yoga for the first time yesterday.

My friend is training to be an instructor. She needed a complete yoga novice to come in to her class, so I volunteered. Let me tell you, yoga is not for the weak.

I was a little unclear of how the session would go. My thought is that each trainee would sit with their student (me) and be asked to bring them through a series of movements. So my total actual yoga time would be maybe 5 - 10 minutes.
It was 2 hours.

They set up the training as an actual class. All of the yoga participants had never done it before (or so they said). Each of the instructor trainees took turns bringing the entire class through the movements. One would start off and then the next one would take over and so on.

If this were a real class, it would have taken an hour. Since they were learning, it took two. They moved through everything slower and would also, at times, forget how to get us from one position to the next , so we would be stuck there holding a pose for a lot longer than needed.

Needless to say, I am extremely sore today.

All in all, I thought they did well. I guess I enjoyed it. When I was doing it, I was eager to be done. It was incredibly difficult. I have never set so much. I was dripping. My heart was racing. And if they asked me to get into the downward facing dog pose one more time, I was going to scream. That is supposedly a resting pose. But I'm pretty sure it's the reason I can't lift my arms over my head today. I was not rested while doing it.


I was amazed at some of the things that we were told to do on our first day of class. See the picture below as one example:






I do not trust my wrists that much.

When I was done, I felt amazing. I felt lighter. My limbs felt loose. I felt limber. It was incredible.
But today, I hurt. I really really hurt.

It's hard to say if I'll do it again. I was given a free week of yoga for coming to the class. My friend asked me to join her this Saturday. I might try it again to see what a real one hour faster paced class is like. Unfortunately, a yoga club membership is super expensive and I just can't afford that right now.

In other news....

It was a beautiful spring weekend here. High 50s all weekend. Sunny skies. Just gorgeous.

We had our pictures taken this weekend. It will be my mother-in-law's 60th birthday next week. All she wants is a picture of her kids/daughter -in-law/grandkid. We hired a friend of mine to do the pictures. I am just not a very photogenic person. I hated pretty much every single picture of me, but I thought everyone else looked great. Maybe it's just my self esteem. I just don't like to pose. I love taking pictures. Stupid random pictures when you're out with friends. But I just can't stand there and pose and smile. I feel so awkward.

Speaking of friends, I got to spend some time with a good friend on Saturday night. We don't connect as much anymore and it was really great to hang out with her and just talk. I love her and miss her in my life. Although, I paid for it Sunday morning and during yoga. Not a good idea to be hungover and starving while attempting yoga for the first time.

Now it's Monday and it is an unbelievably beautiful 65 degrees outside and I am stuck at my desk with my muscles cramping up. I plan to go for a quick bike ride when I get home. I have some errands to run and thought it would be nice to do it on my bike. But as sore as I am, I'm having some doubts. It's only for a few miles...how bad can it be?

No comments: