Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Happy International Women's Day!

I’m told today is International Women’s Day. So I thought I’d put together a list of some of my favorite (international) women in music. Most of these people I’ve mentioned on this site countless times before. And some of them I don’t listen to at all anymore. But whatever. They were a big part of my life at one point and influenced me musically in some way. Here’s a list (in alphabetical order) for you to come back to if you’re ever looking for something to listen to.

Fiona Apple
I love this song with all of my being. The perfect heartbreak song.
Babes in Toyland
When I was in high school, I was pretty sure that if I ever became a musician, I would be making music like this.

Belly
Belly's album Star is one my favorite albums ever. EVER.

Beyonce
The is a perfect song and Beyonce rules all.



Bjork
This video was the first time I saw/heard Bjork. I was mesmerized. And frightened. These days I sometimes just can't listen to her. But everyone once in a while, I get in a mood.

Belinda Carlisle
People will say I should put The Go-Gos here instead. But The Go-Gos were just slightly before my time. I loved solo Belinda first and whenever this song came on VH1, I was glued to the TV singing along. I also thought we shared similar facial features (round face yet pointy chin, small turned up nose) and being an insecure kid, it made me feel good to see someone on TV with those features.

Cat Power
Beautiful. 
Kelly Clarkson
She's just amazing. And I love that she is totally respected as a singer now. I've always loved her voice but seeing this performance blew me away. Girl. Can. Sing.
The Cranberries
I was obsessed with The Cranberries in the early 90s. 

Ani Difranco
My biggest inspiration on this list. She inspired me to play guitar and the way that I play today is all due to learning her songs. Not sure I should say thank you since I never learned to play with a pick because of it. 

Elastica
Cool.

Feist
When I started to write Sea Salt, I was listening to Feist's The Reminder on repeat and really thought that's what Sea Salt would sound like. Of course, that's not the case. Still trying to write this song.

Garbage
I so wanted to be as cool as Shirley Manson.

Juliana Hatfield
This video played every morning on MTV as I got ready for school. Juliana is the coolest.
Heart
I've often tried - but always failed - to both 1) learn how to play this guitar intro and 2) sing this song. 

Kristin Hersch
This was probably the first super intense, raw album I ever bought. I was obsessed with it. Pretty much the coolest album I owned at the time.
Hole
This song could possibly be in my 10 favorite songs ever. I still love Hole. Live Through This is a fantastic album. One of the last true classics.

Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston helped me get through my mother's death. She will always be important to me for that. Rest In Peace, Whitney.
Janis Ian
I recall always hearing about this song. Then I caught her SNL performance of it on late night TV when I was 17 and I totally felt it. I ordered the album and fell in love with the whole thing. It is my favorite get drunk and sing along to every word of every song album.

Janet Jackson
Ms. Jackson is The Queen. I remember watching this video as a little girl and running around our apartment trying to mimic every move/scene.

Joan Jett
My karaoke jam.

Jewel
Don't judge. This was the first non-strumming song I learned on the guitar. I was very proud of myself. And back then you just didn't see this kind of performance on TV. 
Janis Joplin
The original karaoke jam when my girlfriends and I would all go up on stage to sing together.

Cyndi Lauper
Cyndi was probably my first favorite lady. 


Annie Lennox
When this video came out, I was just transfixed by how goddamn beautiful she is. Then I listened and her voice is so amazing. And this song is one of the best. Ever.

Jenny Lewis
I feel so honored whenever my songs get compared to Jenny's. You just know she's going to be around for a long time. An excellent songwriter.
Lykke Li
Just try to stop watching this video. Lykke Li is dance music with feeling. The lyrics are not thrown aside. She is super super good and both of her albums are top notch.

Lisa Loeb
Don't judge Part 2. And just try not to sing along. I blame her and Jewel for getting me started on my folky side.

Madonna
I can't not include Madonna. When I was kid I knew this whole dance routine. Probably my favorite Madonna song.

Mazzy Star
This was my "I'm so cool" album in high school.
Erin McKeown
Erin is lovely in every way. And she's an amazing guitarist. 

Anais Mitchell
I always say Anais is the new Paul Simon. Lyrically, she reminds me of him, the way the words just happen so perfectly. 

Alanis Morissette
I also can't not include Alanis. I loved her back in the day. I really can't listen to her now and by the time her Unplugged happened, I was over her. But I always secretly liked this song, but couldn't bring myself to buy the album.
Joanna Newsom
This song will cut you. Deep. A new favorite artist of mine.

No Doubt
Seeing this video for the first time, I knew I had to have the album and like every girl back then, I wanted to be Gwen.

Sinead O'Connor
I feel like my purchase of - and liking of (beyond "Nothing Compares 2 U") - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got, was when I realized I liked music beyond all the fluff.

Amanda Palmer
This was the first Amanda Palmer song I fell in love with.
Liz Phair
The first time I heard this song, it blew me away how much I related to it. My group of guy friends also left suspicious things in the sink and egged me on and kept me mad. 

PJ Harvey
Whenever I say how much I love PJ Harvey, this is the video I post because it just wraps up all that is awesome about her.

Salt N Pepa
"Shoop" was my jam back in the day and they paved the way for me to start listening to rap.
Regina Spektor
It was hard for me to pick a Regina song to post, so I went with the prettiest.

Tiffany
For reals. Go back and listen to her first record. It's an amazing and mature pop record that still holds up. This is my favorite song of hers.

Sharon Van Etten
Sharon is new to me, but I'm already so inspired by her. This is the latest favorite.

Suzanne Vega
I spent a summer in my early twenties unemployed and trying to beat Super Mario Bros. 3. I had bought her album 99.9 on a whim and played it as I played this game. I've loved it ever since.

Gillian Welch
A true talent.   

No comments: