Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Things I Love Right Now

1. Downton Abbey
I just started watching Downton Abbey. I love it. I am totally addicted. I am 4 episodes in to Season Two - so NO SPOILERS, PLEASE. I’m not asking the entire internet to not spoil things, just don’t post any spoilers here. I’ve done very well at avoiding them so far.

It’s a really good show. The characters are well-developed right from the start and there are so many of them! The second season has become a little soapy with some plot points that are hard to believe. I mean, it’s not like this is a zombie show or some mythical land where anything goes. It’s a show based in reality, so I do expect plot lines to lean towards the realistic. But, still, it’s highly enjoyable and utterly addicting television.

2. Cloud Cult new album Love

Cloud Cult has been a favorite band of mine for many many years now. I love most everything they do and Love is no exception. But their last album, Light Chasers, didn’t really pull me in (with the exception of a couple songs which are probably some of their best songs: “Running With the Wolves”, “There’s So Much Energy in Us”). But Love grabbed me right away. It really feels like a revisit to old school Cloud Cult. Less orchestral and more guitar based. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE their orchestral stuff. They really feel like a rock band meets Classical music. But this album feels like a different approach for them. It’s just very good and beautiful  and totally suits this station I am at in my life right now. The album’s released is perfectly timed for me.

3. My new song
The band and I are currently working on an EP to be released in June. The songs all deal with grief and loss and really wouldn’t fit on the next full-length album, but I feel like they need a place. They are much more simple and usually just me with some light additional instrumentation. But the song we just recorded last weekend titled “Blind” is a very special song to me and might be one of my favorites that I’ve ever written. The full band plays on it and they just nailed the arrangement. I can’t wait for everyone to hear it.

4. My contacts
I went to the doctor for eye irritation issues Sunday morning and they told me I scratched my cornea. That means I can’t wear contacts for a week. It’s awful. I haven’t had my glass prescription updated in years. They are old and unfashionable and I can’t really see very  well with them on. I miss my contacts so much. I wore glasses for most of my life because I was too afraid to use contacts. But now, I just want them back so bad.

No comments: